Tweag is a software innovation lab that helps deep tech startups quickly scale their engineering performance and execute on high-risk, high-reward projects with confidence. We find the best wherever they live, to build better software by applying mathematics, computer science and the methods of open source.
Our core engineering mantras: functional, typed, immutable. These are the key technologies for composable software. We build parts as functions, because functions compose where objects do not. We use types to describe functions, because one type is worth a thousand out-of-date comments. We keep data immutable, because immutability lets us focus on the business logic holistically without getting bogged down by hundreds of corner cases.
Tweag is a major proponent and contributor to new ways of building composable software. We are active contributors to GHC, have full-time researchers on staff to fund new language features (like linear types and dependent types), instigated the creation of the Haskell Foundation, and created many new libraries and tools in Haskell. We are the top contributors to Nix and were the first to be labeled Bazel Community Expert, because we’re passionate about the impact of great developer tools.
Tweag is a software innovation lab with a global team of thoughtful and friendly engineers, working together to build better software by applying mathematics, computer science and the methods of open source.
Our high-profile community projects and contributions are driven by experience helping deep tech startup clients quickly scale their engineering performance and execute on high-risk, high-reward projects with confidence.
We are big on composable software: functional, typed, immutable. In our data engineering projects, we apply these principles to build tooling for efficient, reproducible and maintainable systems in complex industry sectors such as biotech, retail, finance and autonomous vehicles.
We're looking for exceptional data engineers to join our team and help us move the industry forward. You would work either remotely (from almost any country), or on-site at our office in the center of Paris. Most of our team works remotely and has done since long before the pandemic.
Who are you?
Your skillset will grow constantly with each new client project, so consider applying if you are inquisitive, willing to fail often, and adapt quickly. You should be comfortable with feeling out of your depth and rapidly becoming an expert in a new field.
An open mind towards functional programming and reproducible software systems is a bonus. Don't feel like knowledge in these areas is a prerequisite.
As an engineer at Tweag, you
- identify and quickly learn new skills and techniques needed to work in new areas,
- work autonomously, organizing and clearly communicating your plans,
- value high-quality and elegant software,
- enjoy using principles from one area to help solve problems in another,
- cultivate good relationships with clients and with colleagues,
- can explain and discuss complex topics,
- are highly competent in at least one programming language (Scala, Python, Java, C++, Haskell, Clojure, or others),
- have a good understanding of developer tools and techniques such as Git, GitHub/GitLab, CI, testing, Nix, and Docker.
A typical data engineering candidate has, in addition, experience with some or all of the following:
- putting data workflows into production: cloud environments, databases, scheduling and workflow tools such as Apache Airflow, Nextflow, ...,
- large-scale data architectures such as data warehouses, data lakes, and data lakehouses. Experience with Databricks, Snowflake, or other cloud data platforms is a plus.
- event-driven systems and stream processing techniques using tools such as Apache Spark, Flink, or Beam
- a decent understanding of a data scientist’s work, including machine learning and different modeling techniques.
- building dashboards and data visualizations
What will you be doing?
Engineers at Tweag primarily work in small groups embedded in a client team, collaborating with the client’s engineers and each other. In parallel, Tweag engineers connect and collaborate with each other across project boundaries, teaching, learning, and improving our many research and community projects.
- The chance to work on interesting problems and work with and learn from amazing people,
- a flexible work environment, based either remotely or in our Paris office,
- the opportunity to work on your own innovative projects, if they align with Tweag’s goals,
- support to grow into other specialist areas.