5G NTN Engineer – Satellite Constellation 5G network dynamic radio resource allocation
Constellation Technologies & Operations is a start-up developing an innovative constellation of telecommunication satellites delivering universal broadband and backhauling services.
The team is currently implementing an in-orbit demonstration program to develop all the critical technological bricks of the constellation and to prepare its full deployment.
Constellation Technologies & Operations was created in 2022, is incubated by the European Space Agency BIC and is accelerated by the BLAST program (Starburst, Ecole Polytechnique, ONERA, SATT Paris-Saclay).
As the project is rapidly ramping up, the start-up is looking to expand its passionate team to join its exciting and stimulating venture and progress on its ambitious roadmap.
The 5G NTN Engineer (Satellite Constellation 5G network dynamic radio resource allocation) will join the team responsible for designing the dynamic radio resource allocation algorithm to be implemented between the User Equipment (UE) and the gNodeBs hosted on board the Satellites and the Ground Stations. The spectrum available for the User link shall be apportioned in the time and in frequency domains to support serving dynamically a wide number of Users which varies over time in a random manner, including through beam hopping.
The radio resource allocation algorithm to be defined and implemented by the 5G NTN Engineer shall be derived from 5G Radio Resource Control, Radio Link Control and MAC layer with necessary adaptation to take into consideration the specifics of the satellite orbital dynamic and consequences in terms of latency and doppler effect. The design of the dynamic radio resource allocation algorithm shall take due consideration of existing and under elaboration standards, in particular those emanating from the Non-Terrestrial Network Working group of the 3GPP.
In a first phase, the development of those mechanisms by the 5G NTN Engineer will be implemented in a pure virtual environment (VSNGRAN: Virtual Satellite based Next Generation Radio Access Network). In a second phase, the virtual instantiation of the algorithm will be complemented with a physical demonstration in a lab, thus extending the concept down to the physical/radio layer.
- PhD holder within the field of telecommunications satellites and/or 5G engineering
- Solid knowledge of telecom network SD WAN/SDN, LTE-5G network and/or cloud virtualization
- Solid programming skills (Python, C/C++, Matlab)
- Experience in satellite constellation system would be a plus
- Fluent in English (writing and speaking)
- Result-focused and problem-solving mindset
- High degree of professional integrity
- Ability and interest to work in a rapidly evolving start-up environment, and to get involved in technical areas going beyond its initial core expertise
- Team player and interpersonal skills